Posted to rec.woodworking
Just Wondering Just Wondering is offline

Default Nuclear Reactor Problems

On 6/1/2011 12:50 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 6/1/2011 1:02 PM, chaniarts wrote:
Han wrote:
wrote in :

Problem still is that wind doesn't blow 100% of time either here or
in Germany. Baseload is still an issue.

Probably less of a problem in Germany than hereabouts.

but it's much windier elsewhere in europe than germany. without a
european-wide energy producer, they're going to have to buy power from
elsewhere. that elsewhere is going to have to use nuclear, so they're
just
exporting their problem to another country.

This whole is issue is purely political and based on neither science,
nor 40 years of statistical evidence with regard to the risk versus
reward of nuclear electrical generation.

I listen to "Democracy Now" on the local Pacific radio daily, simply as
a constant reminder as to just how much these people who produce it hate
the thought of a sucessful democracy ... it is exactly the same mindset
with regard to nuclear energy.

In the entire history of the world, has there ever been a single
instance of a successful democracy?

I'm curious.
In the last 50 years, how much electrical energy has been produced,
worldwide, by plants powered by (a) coal, (b) other fossil fuels, (c)
nuclear energy, and (d) all other energy sources combined?
During the same 50 years, how many people have been killed, and how many
injured, as the result of the use of (a) coal, (b) other fossil fuels,
(c) nuclear energy, and (d) all other energy sources combined?
The mortality/injury rates should include the processes of extracting
the energy source and transporting it to point-of-use.
I don't know, but I rather suspect that the death/injury rate per
megawatt for nuclear power is lower than the other categories.