Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit requirements for undercabinet microwave

On 6/1/2011 9:04 AM, Mikepier wrote:
Doing some kitchen reno work recently in a family members condo. I ran
all of the new electric lines, which called for 2 new countertop
circuits as required by code. The plans originally called for a
microwave to sit on the countertop.
Now plans have changed, and the microwave is now being mounted under a
cabinet. I'm not sure but I think I read somewhere that if the
microwave is being mounted under a cabinet, it needs its own circuit,
which is a problem now since all the wall are closed up and I can't
run a new line.
However, I can run a new line from one of the countertop outlets up
about 3 feet to the cabinet. So my question does anyone know what the
requirements are?

Can you run a new circuit via the attic? Common sense and best wiring
practice calls for a separate 20amp circuit for the larger built in
microwave ovens but with all the new current hungry counter top items
being used these days, you will wind up with the problem we have at my
home where we trip the circuit breakers to the kitchen all the time
because of all the modern kitchen counter top conveniences. ^_^

TDD