Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default OT not reading DVD's

On 01/06/2011 16:47, whisky-dave wrote:
On Jun 1, 3:01 pm, wrote:
A friend has lent me some D VD's recorded off air to copy. 1 of them
can't be read by either of the DVD re-writers in my computer, or the two
drives I have in my hobby room.
The TV DVD re-writer comes back to tell me that they are empty, the TV
DVD player does not come up with a play list.
The first time this happened (4 D VD's ago) he told me that it had not
been finalized. He took it back and finalized it and it worked fine when
he brought it back for me.

All the D VD's are RW, but he is under the impression that if he
finalizes them he will not be able to re-write them.

In all the years I have used re-writable disks (CD or DVD) I have been
able to erase them and start again.

Can anyone help please?

Sometimes you get the option to unfinalize them.....
Some RW discs can be formatted in Video or VR format not sure of the
difference
but sometimes you don;t need to finalize them for another player to
read them,
but that might just be the +R which tend to be better for video than
the -R.

I didn't know that, I always thought that -R* was the oldest standard.

Just been and checked the DVD and it is -RW. But, on it it makes the
point that it is only 2 hours worth long. Looks like I have a bit of
googling to do tonight.

Dave