Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions About Internal AC Coils

On Jun 1, 12:02*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 31, 6:52*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 5/31/2011 3:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 31, 4:14 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 5/31/2011 12:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 31, 9:43 am,
wrote:

"A - It definitely should be glued."

Well, I've had a CO detector hanging near (but not too near!) the
furnace and it's never registered the tiniest blip in 5 years, so I'm
guessing the putty was doing a decent job.

In addition, I don't think the exhaust port is PVC, so I'm not sure
what glue would be used. It's some type of black plastic and other
junctions inside the furnace appear to use a darkish red glue.

Whatever that adhesive is, will it work with PVC?

But, when all is said and done, if I glue the vent to the port, I
don't think I'd ever get the panel off since it's the base of the vent
where it enters the port that blocks the the panel from being swung
out.

It may be ABS plastic and you can get a universal glue for both ABS and
PVC pipes or get the specific glue.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

But as I said earlier, if I glue it, no one will ever be able to get
the panel out.

As it is now, the panel just clears the port with vent removed.

Once it's glue in, it would have to be cut right at the port making it
very difficult to reattach it with any kind of repair fitting. I'd
have to go "internal", reducing the size of the vent - and then reduce
it again next time, and then again, and then again until I had a solid
tube.

I'm thinking that might not work out so well. ;-)

Oh my gosh! Are we back to considering Evan's suggestion that I cut
the panel into pieces? Say it ain't so!

Perhaps I misunderstood you but the putty or high temp silicone at the
furnace would be preferable for a connection there. ^_^

TDD

So putty around the junction of the PVC vent where it slips into the
exhaust port is OK, right?

No need for it to be glued? Good!

P.S. I'm going to start a new thread about my blower turning off..feel
free to respond. *;-)- Hide quoted text -

I would say it's NOT ok to use putty around the PVC exhaust fitting.
I'll bet if you pull up the install instructions for the furnace,
which
you should be able to find online, it will say that it's supposed to
be glued. That is what the instructions for Rheem say and I'd
be extremely surprised if any manufacturer or code allows them
to be just puttied in place. It would be far too easy for someone
to bump into it, dislodge it, etc., in particular a small child. And
putty isn't anywhere near the perfect seal you can get with
PVC glued joint.

As for the female connection on the furnace being black, that's
typical. AFAIK, it's black PVC. At least Rheem calls for using
regular PVC solvent and glue to make the connection. Which
all goes back to what I said from the beginning. Manufacturers
should provide a means for disconnecting the exhaust, but I
have not seen one. The ones I've seen are like yours Derby.
Once glued on the exhaust side if you want to remove it
completely back to the furnace, you'd have to replace the
inducer blower housing as it's all one piece.