Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default leading

On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 11:13:26 +0100, Chris Holford
wrote:

In article , john B.
writes
snip
I do remember my uncle having a bottle of some sort of acid with zinc
(I think) strips in it that he used for flux but other then that I
don't have a clue.

That would have been 'killed spirits of salts'.
In other words; dilute hydrochloric acid which has had zinc dissolved in
it. It is an excellent flux but must be thoroughly washed off the work
after soldering as it is corrosive. In the UK 'Bakers Fluid' flux is
much the same thing. -don't leave the bottle near any tools etc. as the
vapour will cause corrosion.

I wonder what panel beaters used back in the day of leading body dents
in the front wing?