Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grumps[_5_] Grumps[_5_] is offline

Default Gas boiler - last legs?

Hello

We've got a 28 yr old Potterton conventional gas boiler serving a hot water
cylinder and 11 rads.
Over the past couple of weeks our old boiler has started boiling the water.
It has kettled for a few years, but this boiling is a new development.
The British Gas man (we have maintenance on this old thing) said it was most
likely sludged up either in the HE or pipework around the boiler, and thus
the water is not circulating fast enough so it boils.
I thought we had a Y-plan system but can't seem to figure out the pipes in
the airing cupboard. I have posted a picture he
http://i56.tinypic.com/2vnj638.jpg
Physically the boiler is in the direction of the arrow shown.
"This looks like it comes from the boiler" is a pipe that goes to the coil
of the HW cylinder.
"This doesn't go to the boiler" is a pipe that doesn't appear to be in the
direction of said boiler and connects to the base of the pump.
I was expecting the hot from the boiler to go to the base of the pump!
I know it's difficult looking at just this one picture, but can anyone
explain if it is correct?
Ta.