Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Winston Winston is offline

Default Fuse: fast blown vs slow blown

Phil Allison wrote:
"Winston"

(...)

Fluke wouldn't overcharge for that part either,
surely.

** The price is very steep.

We agree.

But I expect the fuse IS safe when used in the Fluke DMMs it is specified
for.

Both the 'Fluke' brand and the commodity brand are safe, I suspect.

It wouldn't shock me to learn both kinds are sourced from the same
place.

The scenario with a 0.125A fuse is nothing like the one with the 10A range
fuse.

Typical 0.125A rated fast fuses have resistances of 8 to 10 ohms - which
limits the fault current to a value the fuse can easily break.

A 10 amp fuse may well have a resistance of only a few milliohms, so the
fault current is only limited by the resistance of the DMM's leads.

A current of 40 amps is easy enough for a small fuse to break, while one of
over 4000 amps is not.

We agree on that, too.

--Winston