Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power transistor question...

"Dave"
"Jamie
= Maynard A. Philbrook
= Lunatic, code scribbler & radio ham: KA1LPA

I use a cheap B&K LCR, it does in circuit beautifully.

** Blatant lie.

Hey Jamie, thanks for the note. So, how do you perform an in-circuit ESR
test on a suspect cap?

** Jaime is a congenital bull**** artist.

Just IGNORE him.

I tried to do an in-circuit test today on a cap and thought I had gotten
lucky with my first shot. A 10uF @ 100V cap gave me an ESR reading of
42.15 in-circuit, but when I popped it out and tested it again it dropped
to 0.12. big difference! Still trying to figure out what I might have
been doing wrong...

** All that means is there is some resistance in parallel with the 10uF cap.

Any parallel resistance is computed to a misleading ESR number by an LCR
meter.

That's the problem.

With a dedicated ESR meter that measures the impedance of an electro at
100kHz, the effect of parallel resistors or diode junctions that may exist
is ignored.

..... Phil