Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NiMH new battery conditioning

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"William Sommer******"

I thought you'd reformed. But you haven't. Why don't you just go back to
being a foul-mouthed jerk? That's what you want, isn't it? You want people
to hate you, because it makes you feel superior.

The worst part is that when you aren't making nasty remarks, you almost
always have somthing worth hearing.

Our own little Eric Cartman. How charming.

Though it is possible to charge an eneloop battery in a
"Quick Charger", it is not recommended. We recommend
charging eneloop batteries in a NiMh charger that is [sic]
2 hours or more. Charging eneloop batteries in a "Quick
Charger" can reduce the overall life of the battery.

A two-hour charge is, by any reasonable standard, a "quick charge".
It would be at least 0.5C -- hardly a slow charge.

** Standard charge for a NiMH is 16 hours at 0.1C.
Quick chargers deliver about 0.2C to 0.5 C
Fast chargers deliver 1C to 4C (ouch!)
Because NiMH ( AA, A or 9V ) cells vary widely in rated capacity --
the same charger has multiple rates.

So-called "simple" chargers have a timer as the only cutout.
A 4C fast charger that only has a timer is a lethal weapon.

IME -- the worst offenders in supplying chargers that are practically
guaranteed to ruin the cells are the battery makers -- ie Energizer,
Varta, and Sanyo.
Funny about that.

As they sell batteries, why should it be funny?

Based on my experience at Microsoft Hardware, and MAHA's documentation, 0.1C
is not considered an appropriate charge rate for NiMH cells. Higher rates
are recommended, supposedly because they pump more charge into the cell
before the cutoff voltage or temperature is reached.

I rarely charge faster than 0.3C. That's just basic cowardice on my part.