Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trailer axle update

On Tue, 31 May 2011 05:35:03 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

Well, I am begining to wonder if this is an implement hub. I took the
hub off. It is studded with 6 studs on 5.5 similar to a chevy. But the
pilot hole is 3 5/8 wide. They are indeed both tapered bearings. inner
is Timken 2788, outer is Timken1779. About 40 bucks not counting seal
cost. When I measured the spindle I came up with 1.495 on the inner
side and .934 on the outter side.

Is it worth it to buy new bearings or is this set up a bad idea? (If
they are implement spindles I assume they are not meant to go much
over 20 mph?)

One think though it has a brake drum on it and wheel cyliner. There is
a cut hydraulic line on the back. Would an implement set up even have
that?

I found an axle at TSC for 159 bucks that would fit it. But mine is
set up as a drop axle and the TSC is straight which I am assuming
would cause my coupler height to be wrong.

By the way this is a dual axle trailer home made trailer.

What you have is a 6 stud Toyota or Nissan - almost guaranteed .
Chevy had mostly 78mm center holes, while yours is about 93mm.

Nissans were 100mm, and Toyota 108mm, and were generally bolt-centric
- NOT Hub-centric(meaning they had clearance between the rim hole and
the hub center)

Toyota DOES use the Timken 1779 - as does Chevy. Don't think Nissan
does - so that pretty well narrows it down to Early Toyota Hilux if it
is a front wheel with drum brakes