Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Questions About Internal AC Coils

On 5/31/2011 3:45 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 31, 4:14 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 5/31/2011 12:51 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On May 31, 9:43 am,
wrote:

"A - It definitely should be glued."

Well, I've had a CO detector hanging near (but not too near!) the
furnace and it's never registered the tiniest blip in 5 years, so I'm
guessing the putty was doing a decent job.

In addition, I don't think the exhaust port is PVC, so I'm not sure
what glue would be used. It's some type of black plastic and other
junctions inside the furnace appear to use a darkish red glue.

Whatever that adhesive is, will it work with PVC?

But, when all is said and done, if I glue the vent to the port, I
don't think I'd ever get the panel off since it's the base of the vent
where it enters the port that blocks the the panel from being swung
out.

It may be ABS plastic and you can get a universal glue for both ABS and
PVC pipes or get the specific glue.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

But as I said earlier, if I glue it, no one will ever be able to get
the panel out.

As it is now, the panel just clears the port with vent removed.

Once it's glue in, it would have to be cut right at the port making it
very difficult to reattach it with any kind of repair fitting. I'd
have to go "internal", reducing the size of the vent - and then reduce
it again next time, and then again, and then again until I had a solid
tube.

I'm thinking that might not work out so well. ;-)

Oh my gosh! Are we back to considering Evan's suggestion that I cut
the panel into pieces? Say it ain't so!

Perhaps I misunderstood you but the putty or high temp silicone at the
furnace would be preferable for a connection there. ^_^

TDD