Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default NiMH new battery conditioning

"Jeff Liebermann"

** You got something against NiMh cells ?

Yep. I don't like them.

** ******.

I would never mistreat NiMH AA cells the way you just have.

I didn't have time to do it the right way (20 hr discharge).

** The 15 min charging was the abuse - fool.

I can do
it again with a longer discharge time and lower current.

** The 15 min charging was the abuse - fool.

15 minute charging is absurd for any cell NOT designed for such abuse - it
causes overheating with new cells and destruction of older ones.

True for the Duracell,

** True for all of them - fool.

However, the recommended battery charger is a quick charger:
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/ch15mn2.pdf
with a 15 minute charge time.

** They would - since they sell the ****ing things.

Energiser sell a whole range of chargers designed to destroy NiMh cells.

Means they sell more cells.

I've been testing batteries since about 2005

** I've been doing it since 1979.

However, I will point out that many
NiCd batteries can be quick charged at ridiculously high rates,

** Only a rare few, specially designed NiCds were designed for it -
Sanyo's red " F " cells being one.

The issue is the HIGH probability of OVERCHARGING and hence over heating
with consequent internal damage.

Incidentally, the Sanyo ENELOOP battery data sheet recommends fast
charging at 2A for 1.1 hrs:
http://www.eneloop.info/fileadmin/EDITORS/ENELOOP/DATA_SHEETS/HR-3UTGA_data_sheet.pdf

** Got nothing to do with a 15 minute charge in a cheap POS charger like you
did.

A 1C discharge test will never give the rated capacity figure with NiCd or
NiMH.

I indicated that in my posting as:

I didn't want to wait 20 hrs per test to get the official rated
capacity, so I elected to run the tests at 1C which resulted in about
a 45 minute test, but also resulted in a much lower capacity result.

** Will you admit to being a raving lunatic ???

And save me the trouble of demonstrating it to the world over and over.

IME - the idea that new cells have a "running in "period is a MYTH
invented by retailers back in the 1970s when consumers were first sold AA
and C size NiCds and found their performance disappointing when compared
alkalines.

Maybe.

** Definitely.

The inherent lower terminal voltage and cell mAH capacity were the real
reasons.

Agreed.

** No elaboration was needed.

I'm rather mystified by the results.