Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Power transistor question...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Meat Plow"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEA5MfllPdg

Not a bad little meter for the $$$$. Anyone who does work on consumer
electronics ought to have one or something similar. Removes a lot of
guess work.

** I disagree.

An LCR meter is more useful for design and production than in servicing.

Many low cost DMMs include capacitance ranges that can measure from a few
pF up to 200 or 2000uF.

A dedicated ESR meter handles electros just fine while in circuit - and
lets you test all kinds of cells too, which an LCR meter often cannot.

Any DMM can read the resistance of an inductor or transformer winding.

The only function left is to measure inductors for value.

.... Phil

Wanted to thank *everyone* for the info and encouragement I have received in
this discussion. Bottom line for me, at least for now, is simply don't test
in-circuit (pop one lead and then test after discharging). Have also found
a ton of material on youtube and the net that convinces me to get a
dedicated ESR meter (or possibly build one.) Anyway, thanks all for a very
enlightening discussion.

Take it easy...

Dave