Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Another Second Amendment Victory in Ohio

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Ed Huntress wrote:

"CaveLamb" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:

Guns in high school used to be legal and guess what, there were no
high
school gunfights.

To the very best of my knowledge, guns we NEVER LEGAL in Texas high
schools.
You'd get expelled for a knife after 1960.

So I'm wondering where you went to school?

Or when? Did they have to leave their percussion caps with the teacher?

Ed Huntress

Schools used to have shooting teams and it was common to have your rifle
in your locker. This was before my time, but it most certainly existed.

It wasn't before my time. When I lived near Bloomsburg, PA, the first day of
deer season was a school holiday. During the season we brought our rifles to
school and stored them in lockers in the athletic director's office. We had
to hand him our ammunition (carrying more than a half-dozen cartridges was
frowned upon), and he put them in a manila envelope with our name on it, and
put those in a locked drawer in his desk.

At the end of the school day we picked up our rifles and ammo, walked off of
school property, loaded our guns, and walked home through a stretch of woods
and peat bogs. Sometimes we even saw a deer. g

That's the only thing like that I've ever heard of. I lived in a pretty
rugged part of western MD, too, and never heard of kids being allowed to
"have guns in school," except for the rifle team, who had their own lockers
for the purpose, and the practice at that school I'm talking about, related
to hunting season. It wasn't "guns in school."

(FWIW, that was Central Columbia County High School, in 1961-1963). Again,
maybe in the percussion-cap era. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress