Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Wall Warts

Argh. I haven't been paying attention.
Duracell 2650 2650 ma-hr
Energizer e2 2500 ma-hr
Maha Powerex AA 2700 ma-hr
Maybe I'll do some shopping and testing (timer permitting).

There seems to be a real tradeoff. In general, the very-high-
capacity NiMH cells seem to have a more rapid rate of self-discharge;
they're good for "use immediately after charge" applications, but not
so good for "charge and store" standby uses.

The low-self-discharge cells (e.g. Sanyo Eneloop, PowerEx Imedion, and
similar) seem to run around 10% lower in rated capacity.

For comparison, the Maha Powerex AA are rated at 2700 mAh, while the
Maha Powerex "Imedion" AA are rated at 2400 mAh.

I've read that this is due to difference the structure/alloy of the
metal hydride used for the electrodes... varities which can bind more
hydrogen, also tend to suffer from more spontaneous de-binding and
leakage (or so my crude understanding goes... I probably have the
details wrong).

I've had reasonably good results with the Imedion and Eleloop types
for my radio go-kit... I can charge them up after use, and depend on
finding plenty of power available even six months later. Never could
do that with standard NiMH types, when I tried a few years ago... I
couldn't trust them to be useful even 3 months after charging.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO