Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On May 30, 3:14*am, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Home Guy" wrote in ....
Robert Green wrote:

His bill probably holds the sad tale of a one time excursion
into a higher rate zone that's cost him big time. *I'll bet he
now becomes very aggressive managing his peak load.

I've located some PDF documents that my local utility has on-line.

I have to have a "12-month average demand" equal to or more than 50 kW,
or have a 12-month rolling kwh consumption greater than 150,000 KWhrs in
order to have a demand meter. *150,000 kwhrs divided by 12 is 12,500 kwh
per month, which is about 4 times my average monthly consumption.

So no, I don't think I've experienced any one-time excursion into a
higher rate zone, at least not in terms of being demand-metered (if
indeed there are any other ways of entering a higher rate zone).

I'd agree that according to the documents it's unlikely you have a demand
meter BUT mistakes happen and they may be basing YOUR billing on some
previous occupant of the premises who may have indeed been operating a
business that used far more electricity that you currently use.

Thoroughout this discussion it's been clear that Homeguy has
been talking about KWh from his bills. I don't know what kind
of bills you get, but every bill I've seen shows the METER readings
and then seperates out any rate issues. In other words, they
send you a bill for 1000Kwh at rate 15c and 300 at rate 20c.
I haven't seen one adjusted for peak usage, but it sure would
seem that would be handled on the bill by some obvious
multiplier, like 1.3X, etc.

For what you are suggesting to be behind what
Homeguy is seeing, the meter would have to be taking
all that in to account, instead of giving true Kwh
usage, peak demand, time of use, etc and then
having the billing folks calculate what to do with
it and show it on the bill. And then you would
never see the true Kwh used, which has been
on every electric bill I've ever seen.

Don;t you think Homeguy can read a bill?

Bobby G.- Hide quoted text -