Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

On 5/29/2011 10:03 PM, Robert Green wrote:

No, I beg to differ. I always feel much more comfortable encountering
service personnel and such knowing as much as I can learn elsewhere. I
believe the OP has learned a great deal from this thread and could get to
the point where an encounter isn't even necessary. His bill probably holds
the sad tale of a one time excursion into a higher rate zone that's cost him
big time. I'll bet he now becomes very aggressive managing his peak load.

I get no feeling OP has really learned a thing...it seems to all just
pass over as it doesn't fit into the preconceived notion.

His complaint is he has a few months w/ very high usage; not that the $
amount is high at relatively low total usage (as would be the symptom of
a demand-induced premium). I think the likelihood he actually has a
demand meter is very low.

From the numbers on usage he posted before, it appears to be a fairly
consistent usage w/ a couple of months extreme outliers. Both of those
are early in different years; my hypothesis is that the other months
are, for the most part, estimated rather than actually read and the one
annual blip is the catchup because they've not updated the average usage
to reflect actual since it was set up (probably before OP bought the
building).