Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sealing oak front door stoop

On Sun, 29 May 2011 22:39:22 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Sun, 29 May 2011 14:32:20 -0700 (PDT), zek
wrote:

On May 29, 2:19Â*pm, TN wrote:
Our Â*front door has an oak front stoop that I have tried every
possible wood stain and polyurethane sealer on the market. No matter
what I use it starts cracking very spring and I have to sand it down
and do it all over again.

Does Â*anyone have a product that can stain and seal oak so this is
more durable?

Thanks!

Polyurethane cracks over wood on exposure. Dejavu
Look for the keyword SPAR varnish.

Greg

How DID polyurethane become so doggone popular? I used it myself in
on my dining room parquet floor and it only lasted a few years in the
heavily traveled parts. At the time, I thought I should have used
varnish of some sort.

"polyurethane varnish" has the same problems.
"Phenolic Varnish" has other problems, and "alkyd" and "natural"
varnishes have their own too. Polyurethane and Phenolic etc refer to
the resin used to form the varnish film and are the two most popular,
although not the ONLY.
SPAR varnish is not necessarily the right product to use here either,
because real "Spar" varnish is designed to stay flexible (on marine
spars and masts, which are subject to bending that cracks normal
varnishes) - and is NOT necessarily superior in wear or UV resistance.
(or toughness)