Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Power transistor question...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Dave"

Now believe I already have an ESR meter, though I didn't realize that was
one of its functions. What I have is an Extech 380193 LCR meter, which
tells me that a fairly new but run of the mill 1uF electrolytic cap out
of my junkbox has 12.5 Ohms of resistance. If I were to try to use this
to measure the caps in-circuit, how should I proceed? I am guessing that
discharging the cap before touching my test leads to the solder pads
would give me a reading, but I really hesitate to do this without some
sort of suggestion that such is a safe proceedure for my meter. Am
guessing that readings in the single digits indicate a defective device.
Does this sound reasonable? No power to the circuit under test, of
course, and likely will push in the power button a few minutes before
beginning. Again, any advice is appreciated.

** Seen this ??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEA5MfllPdg

All you need to do is compare the ESR reading of a known good electro of
about the same ratings and size with the one under test. If the one under
test has say 5 times more ESR - it is useless or about to fail.

Often, with worn out electros, the ESR may be over 100 ohms.

.... Phil

No, I haven't seen that before. *Thank you.* Need to check and see if they
have any others I could use. Am continually amazed by what I find available
on youtube.

Is there anything special you know about testing a cap in-circuit with a
meter like this? Am still a little worried about maybe damaging my LCR
meter. It was a Christmas/Anniversary/Birthday gift from my loving wife
some 8 or 10 years ago, and would like to keep it in good working order.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate your help thus far with the subject at
hand...

Thanks again.

Dave