Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default Why do they skip sizes of metric combo wrenches?

On 5/29/2011 9:22 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On May 29, 8:39 am, Red wrote:
wrote :

On May 28, 9:09 am, Red wrote:
Newsgroups: Teranews:alt.home.repair
To: Red

Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 10:57:40 -0400

Red wrote
innews:Xns9E279E11D8F12RedGreen@69
.16.185.252:

Be it Sears, HF, HD, etc.

They often go 6,7,8,10,11,12...

Not always in larger sets. But like who would buy an SAE set of any
size if it ran from say 3/8 to 3/4 without a 9/16?

There were many responses and comments to this original post back in
Nov.

Just thought I'd pass along a set I finally picked up From Lowe's.
Father's
day promo through June 30th. Half price @ 19.98.

http://tinyurl.com/3p6t8d2

Sizes 8-19mm EXCLUDING the 9mm.

Can't even beat that at HF for my situation.

Another good deal on a 1/4" socket set. 4-13mm. $4.98:

http://tinyurl.com/3n75khb

My snap on set doesn't skip any of them.

My usage certainly doesn't justify $nap-On. It would be dumber than
having consumer brand metric combo set with a missing 9mm.- Hide quoted text -

I bought most of my tools 30 years ago when I worked in the trade. I
have about %70 craftsman and %30 snapon. I changed careers but might
as well keep the tools. One thing really nice about the snapon is
that their stuff is really thin. I have occasionally encountered
compact stuff where there was only enough clearance to get my snap on
tools on.

I noticed the exact opposite thing at Lowes with Kobalt brand tools,
especially pliers and wire cutters. They are guaranteed for life, but
everything is so darn heavy. No wonder it won't break, it's so thick
it's too hard to get a grip on it. OK, exaggerating a bit but it is so
heavy that they can use cheaper steel. I have some Snap-On also and
they are my best tools without a doubt.