Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wall Warts

On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:38:14 -0500, Jim Yanik
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:
Sorry. C is the current rating of the battery in ampere-hours. A
typical NiCd pack, full of AA cells will have a rating of about 750
ma-hr. NiMH would be around 1200 to 2200 ma-hr.

Just a FYI,I have some Everready NiMH AA cells rated at 2350 mAH(bought at
Wal-Mart),and saw some no-name 2800 mAH AA cells for sale on Ebay.

Amazing. I've run tests on some 2200 ma-hr NiMH AA cells using my
CBA-II
http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=cba3
The results are not very impressive. If I discharge at rediculously
low rates, such as 0.01C, I might be able to squeeze 2200 ma-hr out of
a cell. I tested one at about twice the estimated self discharge
rate, and calculated about 5000 ma-hr out of the cell. I think it
took about a week to finish the test. However, when I ran it at a
more realistic load of 2C, I was barely able to squeeze out 1000
ma-hr. This was also for a brand new cell, as repeated
charge/discharge cycles would also decrease the cell capacity.

See the discharge curves at:
http://4gdo.com/batfaq.htm#Question%20#4:
Note how the area under the curve decreases with increasing load.

I keep planning to post some test results, but never seem to have the
time to organize anything. Sorry(tm).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D