Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default Power transistor question...

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Ken"
"Phil Allison"
"Dave"
"Phil Allison"

The first thing to check is all the filter and coupling electros in
the
vertical and PSU for the vertical.

You need an ESR meter or lotsa luck.

Guess I'll need lotsa luck. What does an ESR meter actually
measure,
pray tell?

** It will tell you if an electro cap has or is about to die of old
age.

Does this by measuring its internal resistance or ESR independent of
actual
cap value in microfarads.

ESR = Equivalent Series Resistance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equival...nce#Capacitors

A good one
http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr70.html

** Looks very nice.

Such ESR meters can also measure the ESR of cells, both rechargeable and
non-rechargeable types -the very low test current means they can check
Lithium button cells too.

The ESR of non-rechageables is good guide to remaining capacity - far
better than voltage is.

The ESR of a NiCd or NiMH cell is a good guide to its heath and ability to
deliver high currents.

Egs:

AA alkaline = 0.1 ohms new, rising to about 2 ohms at end of life.

AA carbon/zinc = 0.5 ohms new, rising to 5 ohms at end of life.

AA NiCd or NiMH = 0.03 ohms new, rising to 0.5 ohms at end of useful
life.

9V volt alkaline = 0.8 ohms new, rising to 10 ohms at end of life.

Lithium button cell ( ie CR2032 ) = 10 to 15 ohms new, rising to 50 ohms
at end of life.

.... Phil

Thank you Ken, and Phil. I had no idea. Definitely want one of those.
Much appreciated.

So anyway, if my voltages look good and there's no serious ripple anywhere,
I'm thinking more and more about the electro caps, but really don't fancy
pulling each and every one out to test without having some sort of strategy
as to which to test first. Any ideas on that? Larger ones first? What
would you guys do? I truly do appreciate the help and ideas.

Dave