Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
Home Guy Home Guy is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

RBM wrote:

Do you have a demand meter?

I have no idea. I would think that most utility companies try to
communicate as infrequently and as minimally as possible with their
customers.

We bought this building 6 years ago. What-ever meter it had is
what-ever meter it had. When we wanted the lights to come on, we placed
a call to the local utility and at some point soon after the lights came
on.

They don't seem to be in the habbit of sending a welcome basket along
with a nice, comprehensive information package telling us what choices
of meters and electrical service we have, nor a copy of the
NIST-traceable certification for the meter.

Do you know what a demand meter is?

Never heard of it.

Typically commercial meters register peak demand and that peak
demand figure is used as a multiplier

What would be the criteria for determining when a "demand meter" is
installed in a given premises, vs a non "demand-meter" ?

Does a "demand meter" give a more accurate measure of energy
consumption?