Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Tree on Property Line

On Sat, 28 May 2011 17:42:24 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sat, 28 May 2011 18:25:32 -0400, mm wrote:

On Fri, 27 May 2011 20:17:14 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I'm curious about people's opinions on the following not-so-
hypothetical situation:

And I'm curious about THIS situation, hypothetical, of course.

Suppose the part of the tree that was hanging over the non-owner's property
was to suddenly disappear in the night, or say, over a weekend when the
owner was away. How could the owner prove that there ever was a limb there
in the first place without incriminating himself and saying that there was
this limb that was endangering his neighbor?

I like hypotheticals, but here I don't see great advantage, since the
person above whose land the limb was had the right to cut the limb off
at the property line anyhow. Anyone who says that's not the law
should say what country and state or province they are talking about.
No one has done that for the general rule except the op's later post.

It would be a very quick permanent solution, but if you then have to live
next to that neighbor, I guess it could get sticky from there.

Yep, whether the law is on the side of the person who cut the limb or
not.

Just don't do it in Charlotte.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...oper-tree.html

$4000 fine, $100 per branch.

Wow. At first I assumed they were trimming city-owned trees as if they
owned them.

This paragraph could use some more details "Trees planted as a result
of the ordinance are subject to the fines if they are excessively
trimmed or pruned. These include trees on commercial property or
street trees. They do not include a private residence."

How do they know if they are planted as a result of the ordinance?
Did they get a subsidy? Was the church notified about the rules at
the time? Or do they just publish it in the newspaper one day or
once a year and expect everyone to read it closely enough to know it
appplies to them?

"Trees on commercial property or street trees. They do not include a
private residence." Where does that put trees on church property or
non-profit hospital property.

By email, Paul, did you say you were moving to Charlotte?