Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Tree on Property Line

On Fri, 27 May 2011 20:17:14 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
I'm curious about people's opinions on the following not-so-
hypothetical situation:

And I'm curious about THIS situation, hypothetical, of course.

Suppose the part of the tree that was hanging over the non-owner's property
was to suddenly disappear in the night, or say, over a weekend when the
owner was away. How could the owner prove that there ever was a limb there
in the first place without incriminating himself and saying that there was
this limb that was endangering his neighbor?

I like hypotheticals, but here I don't see great advantage, since the
person above whose land the limb was had the right to cut the limb off
at the property line anyhow. Anyone who says that's not the law
should say what country and state or province they are talking about.
No one has done that for the general rule except the op's later post.

It would be a very quick permanent solution, but if you then have to live
next to that neighbor, I guess it could get sticky from there.

Yep, whether the law is on the side of the person who cut the limb or
not.

Steve