Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Pfeiffer Joe Pfeiffer is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

john wrote:

Ignoramus21144 wrote:
? On 2011-05-28, Joseph ? wrote:
?? In ?,
?? ? wrote:
??
??? On 2011-05-27, Joseph ? wrote:
???? In article?stydnXDVoa8dvUDQnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@giganews. com?,
???? ? wrote:
????
????? I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
????? thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
????? not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.
?????
????? THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.
????
???? Not likely strong enough.
????
???? My standard approach is pounding the disk into a shapeless blob using a
???? five-pound hammer and an anvil. I put the drive in a freezer bag (heavy
???? polyethylene) first so the parts don't fly everywhere.
???
??? You cannot do that with a 5 lb sledge. The hard drive will not break.
??
?? Really? It works well enough for my purposes. Maybe NSA could get data
?? off the result, but nobody else can. I use a drilling hammer and big
?? boulder.
??
?? But you are free to use any size hammer you can swing.
??
?
? Joe, a while ago, I tried pounding hard drives with a 8 lb sledge on
? concrete.
?
? While I am sure that the first blow will render is inoperable, I was
? very surprised to find that the drive remained physically
? intact. After perhaps 20 blows, the hard drive has been seriously
? scratched up, but still essentially intact.

You need a bigger hammer.

Or to exercise more, so he can swing the hammer properly. Too much
time behind a keyboard and with automated tools makes you weak.

Open it up, put a propane torch to it until it glows.
--
"Erwin, do you know what happened to the cat?" -- Mrs. Shroedinger