Posted to alt.home.repair
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis Dimitrios Paskoudniakis is offline

Default New riding mower and questions

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Hi AHR readers and posters. I just bought a new John Deere riding mower,
nothing fancy, but it's a new way to mow for me.

I know that the maintenance schedule is posted on it right under the
engine hood, and will follow it to a tee. But, and given differences in
prices in different areas, what is an average cost of servicing these?

Servicing yourself or professionally?

Every offseason (March), I

- drain the oil
- replace the oil, air, and fuel filters
- refill new oil
- replace the spark plugs
- remove the mower deck, remove the blades, take them to a shop for
sharpening, then reinstall the blades and mower deck
- spray cleaner into the carburetor

During mowing season, you need to clean the air filter about once per month,
and check/fill oil as needed.

This year the oil, filters, plugs, and sharpening cost about $75

I think I'll have to replace my 3-year old battery soon too. It's charge
gets too low too quickly. My trickle charger brings it back, but I have to
do this after almost every mowing now.