Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power transistor question...

Dave wrote:

Have a very small (5" screen) black and white TV that has lost its verticle
hold. MIL would like it repaired if possible, and kept in storage in case
of another hurricane knocking out power and services like the last one did.
Upon opening it up I see a power transistor (2SB834) with signs of
overheating. My meter tells me that the E/B and B/C pn junctions are
switching at .574 and .572 volts, respectively. Am I missing the mark, or
does this sound a little low to others as well, as if the pn junctions have
been damaged? Its a few more minutes until my candy store opens, and
several hours before I'll be able to get by there, but to me, this
transistor souinds like a good candidate for replacement. Would appreciate
hearing what others think, if anyone cares to comment. Otherwise I'll bide
my time until I can prove the part one way or another. Just hope I don't
have to order the damn thing and wait a week.

Thanks for any comments...

Is the TV capable of receiving digital TV? If not, you'll need a
converter and a way to power it.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HLT71&cat=TVS&cpc=APM is a
digital battery powered 7" handheld TV with a whip antenna and the
charger for $50 + shipping. This would be a better solution. Just
charge the battery once in a while and it'll be ready in an emergency.