Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power transistor question...

"Dave"

Have a very small (5" screen) black and white TV that has lost its
verticle hold.

** Verticle ???

It is not a faulty power transistor in the vertical output - or their
would be no pix at all.

MIL would like it repaired if possible,

** MIL ?

Is there a fourth letter missing .....

and kept in storage in case of another hurricane knocking out power and
services like the last one did. Upon opening it up I see a power
transistor (2SB834) with signs of overheating. My meter tells me that the
E/B and B/C pn junctions are switching at .574 and .572 volts,
respectively. Am I missing the mark, or does this sound a little low to
others as well, as if the pn junctions have been damaged?

** Sounds normal to me.

Its a few more minutes until my candy store opens, and several hours
before I'll be able to get by there, but to me, this transistor souinds
like a good candidate for replacement. Would appreciate hearing what
others think, if anyone cares to comment. Otherwise I'll bide my time
until I can prove the part one way or another. Just hope I don't have to
order the damn thing and wait a week.

** Loss of vertical HOLD is far more likely to be a fault in the small
signal circuitry OR the power supply.

Can you still adjust the vertical frequency to get the picture viewable -
but rolling ?

The first thing to check is all the filter and coupling electros in the
vertical and PSU for the vertical.

You need an ESR meter or lotsa luck.

..... Phil