Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

"Metspitzer" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 May 2011 23:09:46 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

**You need to put 3 clamp on meters on the wires and monitor them
continuously over the desired period of time, which still won't be
accurate
because they won't give you the peak demand. If you have some reason to
believe that the utility company equipment is faulty, you can request that
the utility company hang a testing meter to verify the accuracy

They make clamp on amp meters that graph usage over time. I have no
idea how much they cost to buy or rent.

We took amp measurements on a parallel run of 3-500. I was amazed
that supposedly equal lengths of copper varied as much as 25 amps on
the same phase.

** That's the sort of meter that the utility company hangs on the service to
test the accuracy of their equipment