Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default OT - Airport Queues for Bag Drop Off

Tim Watts wrote:

[1] Because when they feck you up by overbooking, they fix it by offering in
both cases it's happened to me, a refund greater than the original cost of
the flight, a rebooking or diversion and necessary taxis or overnight
accomodation. In one case I had to insist on travelling and they made it
possible. The other case was only a diversion from Munich to Frankfurt,
connecting taxi over (diverted to the town centre rather than the airport by
a short chat with the driver and a tip). No real probs - 1 hour late and a
free return flight!

Ah yes, I forgot about that. I already hated BA at the time that I was
working in Germany, but during that time I came to absolutely loathe
them. In 1993 I was on my way back to the UK. I had a business class
ticket and my secretary had called that morning to confirm the
reservation. When I got to the airport I was told that I had been
"bumped" by BA because "the flight is over-subscribed". Since I was over
an hour early for the flight I asked how this had happened. The reason
was because an aircraft had been hijacked that day (a flight from
Frankfurt to Cairo had been hijacked to the USA) that news teams had
poured into Frankfurt and BA has decided that despite them not having
reserved places it could not afford to upset the press, so it ditched
all the regulars.

I wass able to transfer ticket to another airline much later in the day,
and I haven't used BA since. If I ever meet any exec from BA I will be
tempted to punch them on the nose. As companies go, they are right up
there with British Gas, British Telecom and any other wanky former
state-owned business with "British" in their name.