Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

Default Estimating KWh electicity billing using clamp-on amp meter

"Home Guy" wrote

Our last bill was for 5,160 kwh, with a billing period from april 5 to
May 4.
The previous month (March 5 - April 4) was 1915 kwh.

Infact, looking at the last 12 bills I see some very suspicious things:

5162.41 April
1915.26 March
1582.17 Feb (meter changed end of Feb)
1998.53 Jan 2011
1915.26 Dec
2081.8 Nov
2664.7 Oct
1498.9 Sept
3414.15 Aug
3913.78 July
1998.53 June
2248.34 May
1915.26 April
1915.26 March
5162.86 Feb
3247.61 Jan 2010
2331.62 Dec 2009

Our meter is always read on the first business day of each month. The
meter was changed at the end of February.
I note that I see 1915.26 show up suspiciously 4 times during the past
year (what are the odds that we'd use the exact same amount of
electricity for any 2 months, let alone 4?).

It was the large jump from 1915 to 5162 that tweaked me on this

I have no idea what remedy or proceedure my utility company follows in
disputes of this nature. I have the vague idea that they circle the
wagons and defend their meters to the last drop of their blood, and that
the laws or service contracts may favor them and not the customer. We
shall see.

You are correct in being suspicious. My findings from tracking electric,
July and August are the highest, January is second highest. There will be a
curve on the months between. Winter is high because of running heat and more
lighting, then it comes down as you approach spring, then goes up again as
the AC use kicks in. Then in September, it comes down then back up for
winter use.

I can understand with the old meter that you'd possibly get 4 identical
readings if the meter was not read and the bill was estimated. Actual
readings, I'd say "no way" you'd have that situation at that use. We do have
one tenant that uses very little electric and the meter was originally
installed for some machines. It has a multiplier Most bills are the same,
in increments of $18. A few a year are $36. Another has bills in the $400
to $800 range and follows the curves a I outlined.

A couple of possibilities I can think of. The meter is incorrect. (yes, it
really does happen) A tenant is carelessly leaving on a space heater. a
tenant is running both heat and AC out of stupidity, not a maintenance
problem. You have some other pump or device that is running all the time.

Good luck and please keep us posted on what happens.