Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default New riding mower and questions

On 5/27/2011 6:23 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 5/27/2011 6:59 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Is it hydrostatic drive, or manual?

Manual. I learned that you don't shift on the fly like you do in a car.
Need to slow to a stop? That's what the guy said. I haven't read the
manual or looked at the DVD yet. Will do that tonight.

If hydro, did the delivery guy do
the voodoo routine to make sure the fluid got in all the right places?
If transmission was slipping, that could feel like wheel slippage. And
did he check/set the tire pressures? One hard tire and one soft one can
confuse a lot of things.

The dealer said they did all the checks and runs prior to delivery. It
was on a trailer, not even in a crate, and had oil and gas in it.

Basic rule on hills- anything over the degree tilt listed in owner's
manual, go up and down rather than side to side. Tipping even a tiny
tractor over sideways can lead to a Very Bad Day.

Up and down hills sounds opposite of what I'd do, but that's why I'm
asking. This cuts in reverse, I wonder if I can go forward up the hill,
and in reverse down the hill?

Hydrostatic and hills don't mix--they'll speed up going down and slow
down going up (altho you can combat the latter, the former isn't so
easy). Bought a JD in TN and had to swap it for the previous year's
model that had manual tranny for that reason.

It would help to know the actual model and spec's to judge what might be
going on other than just your getting familiar w/ a new machine.

On the up/down vs side slope, in general avoid the side slope on any
hill of any consequence; the manual will tell you what/how to operate
the particular machine and its limits. The hill in TN was moderate and
one could go both ways, but one did have to shift weight and
counterbalance when going sideways. W/ a rear bagger it was pretty
light on the front end when it got a load while going uphill as well. I
added some front weights for that reason; roughly 50 lb overall I'd
think altho I don't recall precisely any longer.

There was much to like in VA and TN, but having level lawn/garden back
here in KS is a blessing from that standpoint... (now if it would
only rain).