Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheryl[_2_] Cheryl[_2_] is offline

Default New riding mower and questions

On 5/27/2011 6:59 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Is it hydrostatic drive, or manual?

Manual. I learned that you don't shift on the fly like you do in a car.
Need to slow to a stop? That's what the guy said. I haven't read the
manual or looked at the DVD yet. Will do that tonight.

If hydro, did the delivery guy do
the voodoo routine to make sure the fluid got in all the right places?
If transmission was slipping, that could feel like wheel slippage. And
did he check/set the tire pressures? One hard tire and one soft one can
confuse a lot of things.

The dealer said they did all the checks and runs prior to delivery. It
was on a trailer, not even in a crate, and had oil and gas in it.

Basic rule on hills- anything over the degree tilt listed in owner's
manual, go up and down rather than side to side. Tipping even a tiny
tractor over sideways can lead to a Very Bad Day.

Up and down hills sounds opposite of what I'd do, but that's why I'm
asking. This cuts in reverse, I wonder if I can go forward up the hill,
and in reverse down the hill?

I'm jealous. My yard is only about 2/3 acre, minus the house footprint,
but even a small tractor would cut my mowing time in half.

I got it out of necessity. My back is getting in bad shape and the 2 - 3
hours it takes me to mow with a walk behind has been taking its toll on
it. I'm not ready yet to hire someone.

Thank you for the reply!