Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise[_3_] Rich Grise[_3_] is offline

Default Modern Marvels.. Ancient Romans had 1300 psi water?

pyotr filipivich wrote:
Rich Grise on Tue, 24 May 2011 13:04:28
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
" fired this volley in

[Narrator voice Lloyd Sherr (stage name Max Raphael)] "In the
aqueducts water flowed swiftly, producing as much as 1300 pounds of
pressure per square inch. 25 times the standard water pressure of a
city today."

As typically done by video journalists, they mix, mish, and mash techno-
babble until they come up with something that sounds "good", then go
with it.

Let's say they fetched the water from a mountain lake. If the lake were
3000' above the point of use, then the total available water column
pressure would be 1300psi. Now, of course, it's "open", and not held in
a closed column. So, in fact, the pressure is 0 psig at any point along
the aquaduct. But the _available_ column pressure is 1300psi, 3000'
below the source, if enclosed.

Simple, typical, journalistic, wrong-headed interpretation of physics.

They got their science education from Saturday Matinee "B" Sci-Fi movies.

The animated ones.

IMHO.

Nah, I'm too old-school for that. I'm thinking the likes of these:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047573/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050177/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051418/

Admittedly, Marvin the Martian was animated. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich