Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

In article ,
Ignoramus23924 wrote:

I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.

THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.

Not likely strong enough.

My standard approach is pounding the disk into a shapeless blob using a
five-pound hammer and an anvil. I put the drive in a freezer bag (heavy
polyethylene) first so the parts don't fly everywhere.

Joe Gwinn