Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason Jason is offline

Default Sea-facing gable-end wall to paint

On 27/05/2011 18:41, stuart noble wrote:

Okay, we are going for the Pliolite for the whole wall (the final
colour, magnolia).

Good. You got your way then!

One question: the painter doing the high bits says two coats are all
that is needed. I suspect three would be better.

I'm with the painter

The first coat should be diluted with 10% white spirit to stabilise
the surface, that much I am sure.

Are you? The solvent for this paint is naptha, so white spirit might well screw
things up. I'd use the stabilising solution recommended by Johnstones if you
think the surface needs it. You're paying enough for the paint, might as well
follow their advice :-)

Hmm, okay, perhaps I have been reading advice in the wrong forums. I should
stick to the discussion group I trust :-)

The PDF spec provided by Johnstones, and downloadable from a could of places,
does have slightly conflicting advice. It says in one paragraph:

It provides a smooth matt finish that has excellent adhesion to
previously painted and suitably sealed surfaces.

And then it says on the same page:

Excellent adhesion to previously painted or untreated
porous surfaces.

I don't think the surface is particularly porous. It is hard rendering, and not
soft limestone or spalled brick. Maybe there is no conflict and rendering can be
considered "suitably sealed"?

-- Jason