Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

Ignoramus23924 wrote:

I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.

THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.

Thanks

Remove the platters from the drives and sandblast the oxide layer off in
your sandblaster. Even the noted NSA level techs will not be able to
recover data from a pile of mixed platter dust.