Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jason Judge Jason Judge is offline

Default Sea-facing gable-end wall to paint

On May 19, 9:55*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/05/2011 10:43, stuart noble wrote:

On 19/05/2011 01:37, Jason wrote:
On 17/05/2011 09:53, stuart noble wrote:

I'm probably going to be going for theJohnstone'sStormshield. I've
had a few
local houses pointed out that have it, and they look great. Magnolia
is on offer
at various places, but I suspect my partner has other ideas on colours.

TheStormshieldrange seems to cover the acrylics and thepliolite. I
would
recommend the latter because, although it is essentially a trade
paint in that
it can be applied in the depths of winter, it has out performed any
water based
masonry paint I've ever used. Pricey though, especially in
non-magnolia :-)

Yep. I'm looking at six tins at getting on for £30 a tin. I haven't
managed to
persuade my partner that the magnolia on £17 special frommanyplaces
would be
the right colour. I did try ;-)

Thanks for the tip about the two types - I'll make sure it is the
pliolite. I'm
looking at threecoats- the first will probably soak in a lot and
fill the
grain of the render (tough work), the second to give a nice colour
coat, and the
third to hopefully give a bit more resilience to the biting NE
Siberian winter
winds.

-- Jason

IME coverage is excellent. It doesn't soak in nearly as much as a water
based paint, so you might need less than you thought.

More to the point, you can use a cheap colour for the first coat.

Okay, we are going for the Pliolite for the whole wall (the final
colour, magnolia).

One question: the painter doing the high bits says two coats are all
that is needed. I suspect three would be better.

The first coat should be diluted with 10% white spirit to stabilise
the surface, that much I am sure. But two coats or three? If three
will add to the durability and lifetime, even just by a few years,
then that is what I'll do. If a third coat is a waste of money, then
I'll skip it.

Any opinions?

-- Jason