Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking
Jerry Avins Jerry Avins is offline

Default Wet carbon steel knife forgotten on rice cooker

On May 26, 11:54*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Jerry Avins wrote:
On May 18, 2:02 pm, Han wrote:
"graham" wrote
:

It's one of the more dangerous acids and should NOT be available
to the general public. I'm fully aware of the dangers having used it
under lab conditions and having to develop procedures in the case of
accidents. These days, my processing work is handled by a contract
lab so I don't go near the stuff.

It's all in the dose. Moreover, HF is readily soluble in water, so it
washes away easily. I am NOT recommending sniffing it or drinking
it, or washing your hands in it. On the other hand, it is present in
toothpastes in various forms as a minor, but active ingredient.

So wrong! There are fluorine compounds in toothpaste, but not
hydrofluoric acid. Usually sodium or potassium fluoride. Check the
label.

HF isn't basically more dangerous than HCl. It's primary claim to fame
its ability to attack glass. *Don't confuse it with HCN.

HF interferes with the body's calcium and potassium metabolism and can cause
death by cardiac arrest.

From skin contact? I suppose I've been lucky, then. To clean nitric-
acid stains off my hands, I would go to the plating shop, dunk my
hands in the bright dip to be sure there were no cuts, then rinse them
in the cyanide bath. Plenty of running water after than.

Jerry
--
Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
get.