Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Valves badged Orange , rebadged what make?

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Nutcase Kook"

From pcb Enumber, the boards are made in Hong Kong, despite Union flag
logo
on the overlay and "Made in England" on the chassis. I will assume
No-Name
Chinese valves unless anyone knows any better

** Orange Amps do not use or recommend any particular brand of valve.

But you would be a fool to use anything less that the best EL84s and

EL34s
you can get - cos those amps are sooooooo tough on output valves.

Svetlana and JJ are the ones to look at with EH down the list somewhat.

..... Phil

I've been buying and fitting JJ Tesla valves exclusively for the last 5
years or so. I bought a whole bunch straight from the factory (EL34,

EL84,
6L6, ECC83 - not tried any JJ6550's, usually get Svetlanas as required).

I can't remember seeing any amps come back with a failed JJ Tube I fitted.
When I do see an amp back I recheck the bias current and they are always
still closely matched.
They are priced well towards the cheaper end of the quality tube market.

(Last Orange amp I had, a Rockverb 50, I replaced 4 x 6V6 with JJ's,

haven't
seen it since)

Gareth.

I take it from that , that the Orange amp reputation as valve-eaters is due
to whether Chinese or whatever Orange re-badged valves they use, for
reliability replace with good named brand ones at the first opportunity.