Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Drainage for cherry tree!

On May 25, 7:12*pm, mm wrote:
Bought a cherry tree today.

Read that drainage is important. *I have a lot of clay. *Even if I fix
up the soil in the hole I make, I'm worried about everything under
that.

snip

One of the packaged soil conditioners a local garden shop sells for
our clayish Illinois soil is simply calcium sulfate. For years I
thought that when some our area contractors were grinding up drywall
scrap and tilling it into the backfill that they were trying to ease
the load in the Dumpsters. Guess I was wrong, because now those places
look just fine and it was likely the gypsum in the wallboard did the
trick.
Improving soil and drainage might be your best approach.

Joe