Bob Flint

Default Can I use a tree branch for wood?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 16:28:33 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 23:59:39 -0500, Bob Flint
wrote:

I have a big red maple tree that has a horizontal branch that is threatening to rip the tree in half, so this spring
after the sap runs I'm going to cut it off. It is over 1 foot in diameter at the tree, and extends straight out for
about 20 feet before bending up a bit and going another 20 or 30 feet. I cut its twin off last year, and just an 8 foot
piece is too much weight for me to carry!

Shame to just cut it up and burn it, can it be used somehow for useful maple wood?

Then the question - how do I process it?

It is better for the tree to cut it off while the tree is dormant. Of
course you can use it! A lot of woodworkers process fallen trees.
Drying it without splitting is the trick !

Ya... tell me!! I installed a de-humidifier in my shop (basement) and have the level down to 35%. I usually have to
bundle together the wood I buy with these big steel double angle irons, and 1/2" x 12" bolts... and wait a few months
before I use it... still get some twisters...