Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Wall Warts

On Wed, 25 May 2011 15:57:21 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:07:41 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

The + side measures 3 ohms.

Ok. There may be a diode inside the base. Try reversing the leads on
the ohms-guesser and see if it acts like a diode.

Measures infinite ohms when reversed.

After freezing, it cracked open easily, but I see no fuse.
Apologies for lack of quality of pix:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...wallwart1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...wallwart2.jpg/

Yech. I can't see anything in there. Fix the focus. Is there any
manner of diode, resitor, charge controller, PCB, pilot lamp (current
regulator), or thermal fuse inside? If not, it's an ordinary AC
xformer. Also, no points for covering the xformer with the burned
insulating material, so I can't see anything.

There's nothing else in there.

If AC only, then there's the usual problem of what voltage to get.
Peak voltage on a single diode is 1.414 * AC voltage. If there's no
series resistor, and just a diode in the base unit, then my guess(tm)
is that you should be looking for a 7.5VAC wall wart. Again, you'll
need to measure the charging current and check for 0.1C current to be
sure you got it right.

I'm 'fraid you'll have to elaborate on this last. And, what is "C" in
..1C?

Of course, make sure you don't have a shorted
battery pack.

So I gotta crack the battery pack open. And test each cell individually?
How?

Thx,