Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anyone heard about this bad virus?

On Wed, 25 May 2011 15:10:51 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

On 05/25/2011 10:47 AM, wrote:
Last night a friend of mine got his computer infected with a virus.

Comments anyone?
Well, so far the best virus protection I know of is to run Linux instead
of Windows. I have had my server hacked a few times, but never had
event the slightest problem on my desktop machines. part of the problem
is that Microsoft assumes it should run any program that is sent to you,
whereas Linux assumes you DON'T want to run a program unless you
specifically say to. Of course, the second thing is that a MS
OS-executable virus won't run on Linux, but even the Java scripts
usually try to do something that is not permitted under Linux.

Jon

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted comments about the
virus I posted about. It turns out that my friend did indeed recieve a
hijacked email. Even though it looked like it came from his friend
with pictures of his dogs his friend had not sent my friend that
email, instead, he had sent it to someone else and somewhere along the
line the email was hijacked. And also, when my friend clicked on the
message about whether to put the virus in a vault that was when the
virus did its dirty work. It's nice to be able to get some good info
from several folks about things which I don't know so much about.
Niether does my friend. When I told him what I read in the posts he
confirmed it all because that's what the computer repair place told
him.
Eric