Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Drainage for cherry tree!

mm wrote:

Bought a cherry tree today.

Read that drainage is important. I have a lot of clay. Even if I fix
up the soil in the hole I make, I'm worried about everything under
that.

Would it do any good to hammer a piece of pvc 1" i.d. pipe into the
hole so that it comes out the side of the hill about 6 feet away, or
if it's farther than 6 feet, I would use a second pipe to make up to
14 feet.

It might be good exercise. But it won't help the drainage any. I
can't see it from here-- but a swale or french drain might help.

Otherwise, amend the soil as Sonny & Smitty said.

Is there a reason not to do this?

You might need the pipe and time to do something else? g

I figure it will drain liquid water that pools below the tree near the
end of my pipe, but leave the soil as dampt as it should be. Isn't
that what "adequate drainage" means?

A 1" pipe should fill itself up pretty good in a single season. If
you can mow the grass over it the day after it rains, you're probably
ok.

Jim