Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave__67 Dave__67 is offline

Default Can a small industrial demagnetizer erase a hard drive

On May 25, 11:30*am, Ignoramus23924 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23924.invalid wrote:
I have a little industrial demagnetizer from a grinding shop. Can this
thing erase contents of hard drives securely? Or the magnetic field is
not string enough? I have a pile of old HDs awaiting destruction.

THe alternative is my press, which is more of a PITA.

Thanks

Drill a hole through the critter and shatter the platters.

If I had a bunch I'd make up a quick set of 1/4 or 1/8 inch punches
for my dake arbor press, set up like a spot welder- hold the platter
between the punches, pull the lever until you hear "crunch", repeat.

Of course you can never have enough head control magnets...

Dave