Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Small dimmer for ceiling light

wrote in message
On May 25, 10:25 am, Red Green wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote in news:irf1vp01fd8
@news3.newsguy.com:

On 05/23/2011 03:48 PM, hamish wrote:
I live in a 60s house with a problem. Normal dimmers will not fit the
switch boxes as they are too large or the the electrical box is too
small. Any idea where I might find a super slim dimmer switch. I am
in Canada so that makes it a more difficult solution.
Thanks

I'd personally bust out the old box and replace it with a new 3-1/2"
deep box. If you are careful you can do this w/o having to patch and
paint. If you use Madison hangers and the dimmer has terminals on the
side (rare, most of the ones I see now use fly leads) make sure to wrap
the device w/ tape.

nate

It's the most sensible solution. Skip all the hard to find, pricy, and
half-ass fixes.

I'd sure rather spend $25 on a "pricey" dimmer that fits the existing
box instead of trying to change the box. How much is your time
worth? And that's assuming you might be able to get the old one
out and a new one in without having to do patching/painting.

The only dimmer I've ever seen that would fit in a shallow box, or a packed
box, is the Leviton "trimatron". It's half the thickness of every other
dimmer, and it's cheap.