Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Wall Warts

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:07:41 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

The + side measures 3 ohms.

Ok. There may be a diode inside the base. Try reversing the leads on
the ohms-guesser and see if it acts like a diode.

Thanks for this opportunity for taking revenge on the offending WW. :-)

Learn by Destroying(tm). If you haven't destroyed it and fixed it,
you don't understand it.

After freezing, it cracked open easily, but I see no fuse.
Apologies for lack of quality of pix:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...wallwart1.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...wallwart2.jpg/

Yech. I can't see anything in there. Fix the focus. Is there any
manner of diode, resitor, charge controller, PCB, pilot lamp (current
regulator), or thermal fuse inside? If not, it's an ordinary AC
xformer. Also, no points for covering the xformer with the burned
insulating material, so I can't see anything.

If AC only, then there's the usual problem of what voltage to get.
Peak voltage on a single diode is 1.414 * AC voltage. If there's no
series resistor, and just a diode in the base unit, then my guess(tm)
is that you should be looking for a 7.5VAC wall wart. Again, you'll
need to measure the charging current and check for 0.1C current to be
sure you got it right. Of course, make sure you don't have a shorted
battery pack.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#