Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default question about hail

On May 24, 6:53*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 23 May 2011 11:13:21 -0700 (PDT), internaughtfull

wrote:
Hi,

I had some hail recently, which dented the ridge cap on the roof and
removed
some gravel from the shingles. I do not have any leaks. I looked in
the attic
and saw one spot where the 1x6's had been broken. One place had a
splintered
crack, and another had 12" piece about 1-2" wide knocked out, and you
could
see some black fabric [I assume the roofing felt] pushing through, but
upon close inspection
during a rain storm, there was no dripping. I went on top of the roof
and looked in that area,
and there was no hole in the shingles.

What could have caused that? Can the hail break the 1x6's *and not
remove the shingle?
Or was that damage done by the roofer?

I was also wondering if it was ok to put dimensional shingles on top
of 3 tab shingles without a rip off
and replacing felt.

Thanks,

itchy

Did you ever look at these boards in the attic before the hail? *Thay
may already have been broken from when the shingles were nailed on.
That happens. *The haild would have been pretty large to bust a 1x6.

I'd get pieces of 1x6 to fit between the rafters, apply construction
adhesive, and use drywall screws that WILL NOT go thru both boards and
make holes in shingles. *Apply the glue and screws to support these
boards. *

Go on roof, use tar on anything that looks like it might have a hole.
I'd not worry about ridge cap as long as it's doing it's job. *No one
is going to see the dents except roofers and you. *If anything paint
it a dark color and it will be less obvious. *I'm assuming it's metal.- Hide quoted text -

If you are repairing a hole in a shingle with tar, don't try to smear
the tar on top. It'll just make a mess.

Instead, carefully lift the tab and apply a glob of tar to the shingle
underneath the one with the hole, right where the hole will "land".
When you press the offending shingle back down, the tar will fill the
hole and seal it.

If you think you'll need it, apply a few daps of tar along along the
sealer strip to make sure the shingle seals back down again.